Mentor Networking Events 2023-2024
January 24, 2024 from 3:45 - 5:15 pm
March 13, 2024 from 3:45 - 5:15 pm
May 22, 2024, from 3:45 – 5:30 pm - Mentor Thank You Dinner
All meetings are in person in our Boeing Presentation Center (BPC).
Learn more by visiting the Highline Public Schools Volunteer webpage.
Please return all forms to RAHS for processing.
The concept of mentoring has a long history, one that comes to us from Greek mythology. In Homer’s Odyssey, “Mentor” was the teacher of Telemachus, the son of Odysseus. But Mentor was more than a teacher. Mentor was the union of both goal and path; wisdom personified. Today, some 3500 years later, mentoring relationships are still valued. In many professions, mentors help to enhance if not ensure the professional development and success of talented newcomers. Increasingly, schools such as Raisbeck Aviation High School are seeking mentors to assist students in developing high levels of knowledge and to help guide their academic and career development. The act of mentoring allows one to replay, in some measure, the intrinsic benefits s/he has derived from the profession and the community.
Raisbeck Aviation High School (RAHS) mentors play an important role in the school’s overall educational program. Mentors assist our students by:
- Serving as a professional friend, confidant and advisor to their academic and career development.
- Becoming a teacher, guide, coach and role model
- Sharing their knowledge and expertise to help nurture a student’s talent and ability
- Providing what he or she knows in a non-judgmental way
- Representing the skill, knowledge and attitudes required for success in higher education and careers in aviation and aerospace.